Tuesday, August 30, 2005

OH, the perfect ringer to my day...the Rat is dead.

No, tis not a real rat, it's actually MB's hamster. Yes, I did not like the thing, but I took care of it anyway for the sake of MB. Lately it was smelling a bit more than usual, but it's been warm...ratsters smell pretty funky anyway...right.

Well, apparently not. I have trained myself to ignore the sounds of the hamster in his cage, Hammie was his name, by the way. I realized after settling down in my horrible day only to think..hmmmm haven't heard from Hammie at all today. Then it's time to put MB to bed and we happen by Hammie's cage. I did not see him, so I opened the cage, a sound the usually elicits said vermin to the front of the cage for a pumpkin seed treat. Not tonight I'm afraid.
MB is standing right next to me but decides to runn oft. He drinks his juice not 5 feet from dead Hammie and heads obliviously off to bed.

I thought about what to do. Throw the "rat" away and leave the cage open and say Hammire ran off? Just clean it all up and play like Hammie escaped? Get a new hamster (at 9pm on a Tuesday?) before Sam noticed the dead Hammie? We opted for the cold hard truth.

We had to break his peace and his heart and tell him Hammie was dead. This is the first death MB has had to deal with (thankfully) but still. He cried for 30 heart breaking minutes. I tell you what, I didn't like the hamster but to see MB cry like that broke my heart and had me considering mouth to mouth on the "probably been dead all day rate in a cage". 4 should not know that pain.

I think I have him convinced to pray about our next pet. He told dead Hammie that he wanted a hermit crab and a smaller dog that will not die. Oh the innocence of youth.

Maybe someday little boy, but mommy can not handle to watch your heart break again, so no HERMIT CRAB and we will see some day about a small puppy.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Oh no - the thirsty rat is in heaven :( Bless MB's little heart. Maybe it was all that drinking? (sorry - little hehehe) I should have left HERMIE there! Just kidding. Actually they say pets are a good way to "teach" kids about loving/taking care of/and the passing of a loved one. It does break our heart to see our babies in so much pain (much like Tater's loss of 2 kitties in a 2 week period), but I think it makes them better babies in the end, right? {{HUGS}}

Rest in Peace thirsty Hammie.

Karmon said...

Oh No! HUGs to MB and too you. Where did you bury him?