Saturday, August 13, 2005

Pet Peeves

Has somebody ever done something so annoying that it became a pet peeve for EVERYBODY else who would wonder into that territory? I consider myself (and maybe wrongly so) a very open minded individual (but not TOO open minded, LOL) and allow people their little odd/quirky ways because really, that is the spice of our life.

I have, however, found somebody's spice to be making me nuts. You all know by now that I am a medical transcriptionist that works from home. Not the best job in the world (read as
'can be as boring as a 5 hour lecture on a grain of sand') but it lets me stay home with MB and bring in some income. However, I will NEVER understand why docs feel it is okay to eat in my ears. This is gross. I think one today is actually chewing gum while with a patient. How do I know the patient is there? Well, he keeps talking to the patient while his is dictating ( something he does regularly) and then smacking his gum in my ears.

HOW HORRIBLY UNPROFESSIONAL!!!! to top it off, it is a new patient because this is a "thank you for your referral" letter.

I had one doc that like to eat crunchy things in my ears. I guess it grosses me out because 1)I'm typing at 6 in the morning and the last thing I want to hear first thing in the morning is somebody eating, chewing, belching or releasing gas directly in my ears. 2) It's gross. I have occasionally eaten while on the phone, but I know it is rude and apologize and STOP when I realize what I am doing.

I do understand that life is fast paced and sometimes it is necessary to multi-task, but if you are going to EAT while DICTATING Patient notes, dear physicians, please please please do not SMACK and CHOMP directly into the dictaphone. Pretend your wife/husband or MOTHER is listening to the conversation, would he/she be pleased.

I think not.

That is my complaint for the day.

I now return me to my regularly scheduled duties of typing for said chomper doc.

No comments: