Tuesday, August 30, 2005

When all He** breaks loose

I don't know if it is the weather, hormones, or just a wickedly bad day, but today is probably one of the worst days EVER for me. Seriously bad. It blew in with the hurricane last night, which I am happy to say for us, did nothing but spit some rain on our house, cause a temporary power out (very temporary) and blow a lot of warm air around (a lot like political debate, eventually somebody gets burned).

I started out reading a friend's enthusiastic blog (see Tracy at right here) and agreed wholeheartedly with what was said. I walked into my day happy to be alive and full of vibrant tiredness (yes, we stayed up too late watching Troy, then the weather radio went off at almost 2 and then I had to get up at 5:30a). Tired, but nothing I have not handled before really. I log into work and start typing while half listening the the gut wrenching news from Louisiana and Kentucky, Georgia and Alabama. Wow, I am lucky.

Then my computer will not log into work. (you see, I get paid to type...no typing, no money, no money, no house, car, food, you get the point). So I reboot the computer and try again. Now I log in and start typing (15 minutes later than I should be there). I type a job, a good LONG job and I can not save it to the system. Frantically I call and the problem is on their end. I will, (because I am impatient and hit lots of buttons trying to force the save) have to re-boot again and they will send me the last saved version of my file. Okay....my bad. Half the job is gone and I have to type it again (feel the frustration level rising).

Then MB has a playdate set. We were expecting bad storms ala hurricane Katrina this afternoon so I call N's mom to see if she still wants MB there (he kind of freaks w/loud thunder). Sure. So MB goes to N's house to play. I stop work about 20 minutes before I am supposed to so I can drive him across town to N's house. I head back home thinking I can get some work done. Work slams me into the OBNOXIOUS Hospital to type and I get to do discharge summaries all day. No big deal really, they usually boost line count...unless you get the Horse Whisperer. He is a PA or NP (not sure which, physician assistant or nurse practicioner). The guy whispers his dictations like he is some secret agent and somebody is going to know who/what he is dictating and that would be agains HIPAA regulations. So I'm typing horse whisperer and the power goes out. NOOoooooOOooooo. The cries could be heard across the country if you listened at 11:30 am central time today. No, it was not a mouse in your basement caught in a trap, it was me yelling about losing yet ANOTHER job today.

At that point I figure I'm due some lunch and a cat nap....then, behold the Horizontal alarm goes off. If you missed that post, it is the alarm that goes off in somebody's head while I'm sleeping that "Hey, now would be a good time to call MommaRia." The phone rings 5 minutes after I fall asleep. I get off the phone with DH and go back to sleep. The phone rings again..this time it's N's mom saying MB misses me and wants to come home. REEEEEAAALLY. the kid who tells me he's bored wants to come home. I wonder if N's mom tried to make him eat. SO I run get MB a few hours before I had planned/hoped.

We get home and I log back in to work and am still forced into that Hospital and typing the Horse Whisperer. I get into the swing of him (sort of) and things are looking okay to get a decent line count if I can just keep going. But no, that would be too easy. I'm into a 3:40 min/sec job and the phone rings. It's DH. We have a heated discussion on the phone and for a countless number of reasons including me flat out telling him I did not want to talk about IT now, but he pushed, so I Shoved. I am sorry for that. (sidebar...guys, when we say "I'd really not like to talk about this NOW and over the phone", please please, for the love of GOD believe us). I hung up on DH...no, not the nice way, I flat out hung up on DH. (again, honey, I'm sorry for the hang up, but you were supposed to be working and I was supposed to be working..it really was not the time to have that discussion).

Now I'm really in a bad mood...but wait, there is more.....

I am typing this 3 minute 40 second dictation which ends up being a 1-1/2 hour job. Yes, it took me 1-1/2 hours to type it because 1) it is the Horse Whisperer, 2) He is using a bunch of orthopedic phrases, not my specialty, 3) phone, 4) MB pulling me saying "you gotta see this", 5) my now upset stomach and a headache. All of the worlds combined to somehow make my computer do this anomaly thing where it deletes entire passages I have typed (only on work stuff though) and replaces it with a different passage. NOBODY knows why this happens, but it only seems to happen to me....*sigh*, but I lost the 1-1/2 hour job.....you heard me....LOST IT. In a perfect world (I hear you laughing, stop...you mock my pain!) there is a back up at the work's computer that they can recover for me. I know you ....you are smart enough to know even before I type it what happened next...don't you....yep, you're right. The back up was the anomaly one, not the one I spent 1-1/2 hours typing. Are you as sick as I am right now. I cried. I actually REALLY shed tears while on the phone with the tech guy from work. I was 100% the stereotypical woman and I LOST IT ON THE PHONE. Then I hung up, retyped what was lost and stopped working before I put a sledgehammer into the computer, the wall, yadda yadda.

This is the first time, apparently, that MB saw me cry. He was all "What's wrong momma?". I told him mommy was having a bad day. He told me he was having a bad day too. Then he insisted on making me watch Baby Einstein while I tried to cook dinner to "make my day better. It's amazing how they help you get over the bad days.

A few baby Einstein minutes later dinner was ready and I had zerberted his tummy and my favorite spot on the back of his neck and felt better.

I realize though my day sucked cheezedoodles, I have a lot to be thankful for. I have a house tonight, a bed, a husband and a son who makes me laugh. I am not 100% okay yet, but you know what....I will be. When you have done all else...Stand. I'm still standing...bruised, battered and feeling like a jerk, but standing.

2 comments:

Karmon said...

(((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))) I am so sorry that you are having a $hitty day. Here's to a better one tomorrow.

Vanessa said...

Oh sweetie {{HUGS}} I am so sorry you had such a horrible day. Im kind of glad I wasnt there to add to your stresses. I hope ting are better - talk to me anytime honey!!! It's defiantly lonely not to have you to talk to 24/7 anymore :( Love ya!