Sunday, August 14, 2005

Nine 2 year olds

Before you think that this is a new addition to the partridge in a pear tree song, nope, I'm a preschool worker/volunteer at church and today, I had 9 2-year-olds, and a 10 year old helper and my 4 year old son masquerading as a helper. I think I need my head examined! LOL...

Let me back up. I attend (and am a member of) a medium sized church (Non traditional Baptist, if you KNOW me you KNOW how funny a mix THAT in itself is). This church obviously has an issue with volunteers, or lack there of. I do not work regularly in the nursery because MB gets sick a lot and I would hate to be the one who calls in every week b/c they can't make it for a sick kid. Since I could not totally commit, I am a sub. I get called literally every week to sub for either Sunday School (which I by no means consider myself a gifted teacher) or a service sub. Usually I say yes, like today.

I got there only to discover that the nursery thinks that if I am working they can naturally assume my DH is coming to help too. Ummmm...never agreed on that, I can not speak for my DH where and what he will do. Normally, he will stay with me (and we keep all the boys in there as helpers, age 4, 10 and 12 so it's pretty helpful...sort of) but today we had one of the older kiddos not feeling well, so it was me and the 4 and 10 year olds.

with 9, NINE, 2 year olds.

Ironically, this was not a problem. I know most of the kids from usually being placed in the "creepers/1's" room but they have all graduated to a bigger (thank you GOD) room with more toys and tables. WE colored. WE read books. WE picked up toys that were tossed out of the room. WE replaced the baby gate at the door every time somebody would pull it down.

But then the seventh level of Hades opened 5 minutes before service ends. I swear I am not lying when I say every child either had a potty accident, pooped or started screaming for their mom. I got a cup of apple juice spilled down my shirt and had one kid running about in his Nemo underwear because he dropped his shorts in the toilet while I was tending to the other kids.

Then my angel came in from the 3 year old room (where they had 3 kids and 2 workers) and changed poopies for me while I rocked the screamer.

I was never so happy to see parents as I was at that moment.

I'm home now and it's funny.....now.

No comments: