Thursday, September 01, 2005

Katrina and other musings..

I am trying to wrap my brain around what is going on costally in LA, MI and AL, but honestly, my brain is not big enough. I have engineering ideas I have no clue how to share to stop the water from flowing in, I am sickened by the animalistic nature that has shown in so many of my fellow human beings and praying there are even subtle acts of kindness and compassion happening that are just not "news worthy" (and shame on the news people for not showing that too). I ponder why water and food were not immediately flown to the stadium where people were trying to have some sort of life while waiting to see what to do next. I am perplexed that our country has forgotten to teach our young men that it IS appropriate that women and children go first and sad that women, in a desperate attempt to be considered "equal" to men, didn't remind men that women and children go first. (again, a blog for another time. Ladies, the world will never see us as equals. They may play like they do, but they will never pay like they do).

The other thing that had me freaked today is the fact that gas in Tennessee is $3 per gallon and guaranteed to go up. After going to 3 gas stations to FIND gas this morning My DH payed $25 for a little less than 1/2 tank of gas, a tank is about what he uses to go back and forth to work in a week, folx, thats $200 per month for gas for 1 vehicle. $200!!!! I don't know about you, but I surly can not afford that. MB does not go to day care because we can not afford the $120 per week for that. Thank goodness I telecommute to my job....but every now and then even I have to go to a doc appointment with MB or myself...and that is all we are going out for now.

BUT...I have a memory...I remember the 70's with Carter as president, an oil crisis, LOOOOONG lines for gas and then being told when we were 3rd in line the station was out of gas. Rising prices for everything and recession.

Is this the market correction we have been waiting for for several years now? I don't know, but we have made it through such crises before and we, the USA will make it through again.

I will do what I can for the gulf coast, including donating blood and whatever else I can spare.
And I will be home for a while because I just can not afford to go anywhere for now.

BUT MOST OF ALL, I will pray because I KNOW who holds the future, and it is worth the living just because He lives.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

I just heard something on MSNBC from who I believe is the governor of MS ... It's funny how one of the worst disasters America has faced brings out the best in some people and the worst in others. SO TRUE!!! As it is with every situation.

As we talked about earlier - a totally different mindset & way of life in N.O. honey (read my blog).

And one day we will celebrate in the renewal of life and God's gift in the great city of New Orleans.

Karmon said...

Gas here in Va is $5.69 in some places. I cancelled a doctor's appt for me just because I didn't want to waster the gas. We WILL make it past this difficult time.