Thursday, July 28, 2005

The Good Samaritan

I find myself in an odd place, somewhat perplexed really. Apparently some things I do out of a natural desire to help my fellow man makes me some kind of hero. Really I am not ready for any kind of adulation and find myself wondering if my normal response to another human's needs makes me "abnormal". Let me explain a little. You probably heard about our friend V that was hospitalized with a stroke/seizures. Well, she is about to come home from the hospital after an almost 3 week stay. Her 4-year-old daughter is with her grandma right now in another state and V's husband is in Iraq (and we are all doing everything we can to get him home, the sooner the better). V will not be able to drive for 8-10 months because of the seizures and should not be left alone. The only reasonable thing to do was bring her here to stay with us. No we are not family, other than being in the family of humans. We are friends. It is natural for me to do this. My mom protested yesterday and the beautiful women on our message board of mommies is so sweet in calling me a hero, an angel, etc. but I'm confused.

I guess for me, it all goes back to Vacation Bible School when I was about 11 years old. I went one day, seriously, one day, and they told the story of the Good Samaritan. Apparently I was so moved that I decided that THIS was how I wanted to live. Before I began a personal relationship with Jesus, my lifestyle motto was "don't let me catch you hurting kids, old people or animals and you won't get hurt". I still live by that credo, but less violently in my response. Use your imagination, you are probably right. I was pretty mean as a teenager.

Today, my response is the same but again, less violent. I believe God repays good for good. It is TOTALLY natural for me to do what I have done and will continue to do for my friend V (and, honestly, anybody else I could help). I do not do it for attention, for accolades or a title of hero. I do it because it is what I would hope somebody would do for me and to please the One who gave it all for me. I'm just giving it back.

So stop it you gals, you are embarrassing me. I don't know how to respond to your kind words and not sound full of myself or like a martyr...I am neither. I am doing what one human should do for another. I'm just trying to follow Christ's example and parable.

7 comments:

Karmon said...

Awwww Maria. I'm sorry if I did something wrong when I sent what I sent. I was just trying to help. I won't call you a hero anymore. Just "The Good Samaritan". Love You!

MommaRia said...

Sweetie, you did not do anything wrong. I was very touched at the card and gifts you sent. In fact, you are 'buying" the van a much needed oil change. :)

I really appreciate you. Thank you for not being offended. I worried about that after posting here. I love you sista!

Karmon said...

You could never offend me. It takes alot to offend me. ((HUGS))

~B said...

Make sure to pray, pray, pray during this, the devil will see your kindness and will try to break you down if you don't continually pray, you know what I mean? (I hope this doesn't sound wrong). ~B

TamWill said...

MommaRia-You are one of the few who Live the verse "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

God Bless You!!

lachen said...

I hereby refuse to "stop it." *grin*

Just as you are being used by God in ways that are stretching you, so too are those of us who are called to shine light on your efforts and praise the God who both created you and is using your heart and soul (and A's, too!) in incredibly meaningful ways.

The glory is God's. But the vesel He is working through right now is YOU... enjoy the service, for it is our most purpose under heaven to serve Him by loving others.

Loving you,

your most stubborn of friends :)

Molly said...

I didn't realize that you had a blog out here.

Your post made me cry. No need to be embarassed or confused. I also refuse to "stop"

I can't even put into words how wonderful you are.

Thank you for everything you've done. You are touching lives, and I hope that your Godd Samaritan nature is contagious!