Monday, July 25, 2005

Shopping

I went shopping today. Not grocery shopping, but couch shopping. This is an event that TOTALLY freaks me out. I told my dear husband that I was feeling queasy as we packed up MB on the hottest day of the year and went shopping for a sofa sleeper and recliner. The sofa sleeper is for me because we give up our bed when our parents come to visit and sleep on the once VERY comfy couch and living room floor (or previous air mattress which has since deflated and refuses to be re-inflated). I'm too darn OLD to sleep on the floor and fighting over the couch is too much. We tried sleeping in SS#1's bed, but it was worse than sleeping on the floor. LOL..I hope it's not that bad for him.

So, with much frustration and temptation to barf, I went, screaming and kicking into a mall. JC Penny to be exact. From the website (yes, I tried to shop for a couch on the internet...bad idea, yes, I know) JC Penny seemed to have a wide variety on-line, so that is where we started....and where we ended.

I told DH that we would not buy the first thing we saw, but what did I do? I liked the first one I saw, and it was ON SALE!!! What woman who about pukes when it comes to shopping can resist a sale. The couch is for me. The recliner...all DH. He has begged me for a recliner since we got married 6 years ago. I finally let him have one. It was clearanced and matched the couch. The sofa sleeper is comfy, neutral in color and micro-fiber (read fairly easy to clean).

So we got them. Well, not really. The recliner DH will pick up after work tomorrow. I, however, have to wait over a month. Apparently they have to go kill a few trees and MAKE my couch (though the sales lady told me it was in stock). That's okay, no company, that I know of, between now and then.

So, without hyperventilating, we now have a couch and rocker/recliner. I'm exhausted and have a bit of buyers remorse (as I always do spending anything over $200 on anything) and am wondering if our age shows by the furniture we buy. This is a style my parents would buy. Am I becoming my mother (I ask myself rhetorically).

I will let you know how the couch sleeps....around the holidays. Is it too late to get that protective plastic stuff grandma used to have on her couch....where do you find it these days?

3 comments:

TamWill said...

Hey Congrats!! It is nice to finally get new furniture...I know!

It took me over 6 months to finally settle, I drove everyone nuts!!
p.s. Mine is primarily (barn) red!

Enjoy it!

Karmon said...

Enjoy! You deserve something new. I can't wait to see picture's of your new furniture. (hugs)

lachen said...

I am not even going to ask how that couch is going to be Christened. But my guess is that it will have something to do with a countdown of days involving how long it can remain completely blemish and stain free? :) I am so happy you have a new couch and will be waiting to hear that you have stopped hyper-ventiliating from the buying experience (oh me who shares the aversion to high dollar shopping).