Wednesday, September 07, 2005

What is in a kiss?

I have to tell you, one of the things that I totally LOVE about being a mommy is the accidents. Not the "I didn't make it to the potty on time" accidents, but the "I was running without my glasses on even though you must tell me 12 times a day not to run in the house and because I have no dept perception I rammed into the wall and hit the vacuum cleaner and pinched my finger so now I'm squealing like a piglet being chased by a rabid goose...kiss my finger and make it better" accidents.

Yes, that is the kind of kiss I am talking about. I think I am going to go through some kind of mommy depression when MB gets too old for me to just tickle-kiss wrestle with or when my smootch can make that same smashed finger FINE again. I have administered kisses over Bugs Bunny Band-Aids that magically heal cuts. I have given kisses to a walloped head and made bumps the size of Everest disappear. I have dotted kisses around the nape of a neck and had somebody, mid-hissy-fit break out in laughter and our little line of "mommy can you stop kissing me now?" to which I am obliged to reply NEVAAAAA and dot more smootches around said nape stop the fit cold...well, squiggly and wiggly cold.

What is it exactly that is in that kiss?

In a word. (okay, 2) Unconditional LOVE.

MB knows (I hope) and I am definitely sure there is nothing in a kiss but LOVE and love heals all wounds (well, love, time and sometimes antibiotic ointment). But LOVE tells you that though you didn't listen and ran in the house and whacked the crap out of your hand, you are still loved.

If you did not know that love as a child, I hope you find it in life. If you administer magic smootches, LOVE IT NOW...as the step mom of a 12 and 10 year old, unfortunately the magic does not last, they don't want a smootch.....*sigh*......they want a big ole BEAR HUG.

And as an adult, I LONG to hear a random I love you from my parents still. And sometimes I get one and I didn't even have to whack my hand to get it.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Right on sister, right on. Those kisses are shear perfection.

TamWill said...

mommaria-I sit and wonder (*worry*) because like you I am very affectionate with my 8 yr old twins and then I have flashbacks of my grown children and I dread the teenage years, when it seems your children half despise you and half love you.

So embrace today as you say!
Because when they are little they step on your toes, but when they are big they step on your heart!