Monday, May 19, 2008

Ok, I see daylight, but we are not out of the woods yet

Well, I went to see the surgeon today. I have never met such a gracious man. He sat and LISTENED to me....seriously, everything and anything I said, he listened to me. He listened to me drone on about my kids, my husband, my job, etc. He listed to my medical history. He listened to my questions about the surgery. He answered my questions about the surgery.

They will take the right lobe of my thyroid and leave a small portion of the left to help create less trauma for the parathyroid system. There are risks. Vocal cord nerve damage/paralysis, parathyroid damage and the risk that there is still cancer here and we just missed it with the biopsy.

The surgery is coming up. I will let you in when I know more.

Life is an adventure, good thing I know the author!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Maria! It's Kimberly (imbanko) from the May Moms. I'm so sorry to hear about your surgery. How did you go from benign to cancer? Oddly enough, I'm at almost the same point except my nodes haven't gotten large enough to irritate my trachea. So I'm reading your blog with great interest and hopes that everything goes well and you recover quickly! Huge hugs, my friend!

MommaRia said...

Kimberly,
thanks for checking in. They are suggesting cancer b/c I was radiated in 96 and the thyroid started growing by itself. Like it turned itself on again, but does not work right. Weird.

1/2 of what I read is good and says this would not be cancer, 1/2 I read says it could be.

I guess we will find out for sure when the surgery is over. It is scheduled for 6/6.

I will keep blogging, it's good for me :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck. I'm glad they don't already see cancer! The waiting is a killer though. After my biopsy where all was benign, I had to wait 6 mos to see if it was still growing. Just about drove me nuts. Actually, now I'm waiting for yet another 6 mos to check again but this time isn't so bad since last time was good news. Anyway, take good care of yourself. You've got lots of ladies pulling for you, even when you aren't around. We May Moms don't give up that easily! ;) I'll be thinking of you on 6/6...