Tuesday, May 13, 2008

God ponderings

Today is a melencholy day. I had to get a steroid shot (long story short, I got the virus from Hades and it's wreaking havoc on my body) so I'm jumpy and moody all at the same time. Sorry hunny.

Anyway, I really really feel the need for God today in my day, life and moment. I cracked open the Word and was reminded of Jesus feeding the 5,000 and then telling the disciples to "quickly get away" while he dispersed the crowds. Wow. That would be like the biggest rock star saying to his/her band "run get in the bus, I'll handle the crowd." Some manager just lost his job. LOL. Anyway, Jesus protected his stunned and weary disciples by ushering them out to "protection" while he handled the pressing crowd who had been there all day. Much to the disciples dismay, however, when they tried to cross the water, the storm kicked up and they were rowing INTO the wind. Have you ever tried to do something that was seemingly IMPOSSIBLE? What on earth are you going to do about the wind. And what about the boat? Those things move with wind....and not in comforting ways (if you understand my green gills point). Not to mention the winds were pretty bad and the boat was probably staring to fall apart, maybe? The disciples were probaby mad and scared and bitter that Jesus was not there suffering with them. The Word tells us that Jesus realized the disciples could not cross for the wind and after a few hours went out across the water to them. The version I read said it was between 3 and 6am when Jesus went out to them.

How long were they on the waves? How scared were they? How hopeless did they feel??

They saw Jesus on the water and thought He was a ghost and became quite AFRAID. Well, yeah! Jesus was walking on the water. I know if my neighbor, friend, co-worker, relative, etc, came walking across water that was not frozen solid I'd freak too. But the Word went on to say "Jesus meant to walk PAST them". Why?
Still pondering that one.

but when they freaked, Jesus stopped, addressed them and calmed the waves.

Wow.

Right now, no matter what is going on in life, my life or yours, please focus on that God waited, God walked and God stopped to help. He was never far off. He saw the disciples struggle in the boat. He saw the fear when they saw him on the water. He calmed the waves.

NO matter HOW far off God is perceived to be, He is not. He sees, He moves, He calms.

No comments: