Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The evil that is the local news.

You think living in one of the top 50 markets in the country the news stations would CHECK that the stories are correct and accurate before going on the air.

Case in point:

This morning at 5:50-ish I turned on the local news to my favorite channel, News Channel 5, because the morning team is just that, a team of people who actually seem to enjoy one another's company at ungodly hours of the morning. I listen loosely to the local news as I log in to work and start pulling down jobs to type from the mothership.

Out of the corner of my ear I catch "up next, More Tennessee troops are home" yadda yadda yadda.....

You may remember that our dear friend Military Wife stayed with us after her "incident" because her soldier is in "the sandbox" of Iraq. So I was quickly tuned to the news, full attention, while I waited to hear if it was soldier J's division. Low and behold, yes, it IS the correct number for Soldier J's division. I about jumped up and down....I hit our mommy's board and congratulated Military Wife on his homecoming and was, honestly, a little upset she did not tell us. I saw the story again and peered mercilessly (sorry eyeballs, it was only 6:15 am) but did not see Soldier J or Military wife on screen, but come on...there WERE a lot of people there at Ft. Bragg.

Then all the other mommies congratulate Military Wife too...who, it appears, is quite perplexed that SHE knows nothing of this homecoming. SO here I sit, egg clearly on my face (and I imagine a few ppl wanting to Toilet Paper my house) because the news said the the division was back when, actually, only part of the many pieces of this division is back. Come on guys, lets get the facts straight.

SO I issue an apology to Military Wife. I should have KNOWN you would have told us.

I also give warning to you my friend...don't trust the news, even if they smile at you and are NICE at 5:50 in the morning....Apparently there is not enough coffee in the state of Tennessee to make ANYBODY think logically at that time of the morning.

3 comments:

Karmon said...

You had/have good intentions. She loves you as do all of us.

Vanessa said...

NO apology needed sweetie! LMAO - my heart stopped and my stomach hit the floor when I first read the post. I was just baffled at the thought that no one had told me. LOL - but all is good.

Not to worry - J's little part of the entire TN ARNG will be home soon. They are all moving back in stages from the box. The darn news is the one screwing it all up for everyone. There are a LOT of little divisions of the TN ARNG (all #'ed the same) but were very spread out in the box & will all be making their ways home shortly.

So, it WAS a very good thing to hear they were making progress and some of the TN ARNG was making its way back home & now are on US soil. But, SoldierJ's part still has a little too go. I think we all are excited for it to be over with. And no one is more excited than me - 1 1/2 years with out my honey is long enough!!!

LOL - I DO love you and appreciate the thoughts {{HUGS}} I wont limp over to toilet paper, I promise!!!

TamWill said...

You meant well and we all know that your heart was in the right place :)