Wednesday, June 22, 2005

For love of the Monkey Boy

I just became a salesperson, well, actually, I've always been a sales person, but now I'm selling some of the best educational toys in the country. It's an odd thing. I am not a person who likes to get up in front of a group of people and talk even though I worked in radio for 18 years. Yeah, millions heard me, but nobody was looking back at me other than the jock in the booth across from me in the AM studio or production room. I am not a piece of eye candy by any means, but I am loved by a Monkeyboy and his daddy.

I had my first toy party the other night and survived. No kids at the party because they add confusion. You need to know that my friends call me the queen of the 6 sick scenerios because I can tell you the sickest outcomes of any situation at the flip of a coin (or in our case over a game of gin rummy). I don't know, maybe that will help me in other things I want to do someday, but I am thankful none of my sick scenerios played out at the party...I did not puke, pass out, or hyperventilate (though I thought at one point I might) and the people there were people I knew.

Amazingly enough, everybody brought toys. Did they buy because I am a good sales person? Because they felt sorry for my bigger than life self trying not to do math poorly and overcharge somebody? Because they like me? I don't know, but they bought toys...and I felt good, and my hostess had a good time.

Maybe I can do this after all. People ask why I'm doing this on top of my full time job and my job as wife and mother....well, honestly, I do it to get out of the house. I love my son more than life itself, but about the time you hear "Momma" for the 80th time in 30 mintues you really need to escape....any way you can. I also woke up to the fact that unless we had to go to the store Monkeyboy and I could be in the house for 3 to 4 days at a time without ever stepping foot outside (well, I do throw him out ocassionally to get some sunshine, but I'm a vampire when it comes to the sun and this dang burn Tennessee heat (I'm a yankee, give me snow!!!).

It was nice to get out, even if only for 2 hours. I had contat with grown ups, daddy got to watch MB (monkeyboy) and I escaped, if only for a short break.

The best part though was coming home. MB should have been sound asleep but he claims he could not sleep becuase I was not home. He ran up, kissed me and said "Momma, I missed you so much. I am glad you came home". For that I will leave more often. It's nice to be missed. You know what...I missed him too. It's all for the love of the Monkeyboy.

No comments: