Wednesday, July 05, 2006

WHAT THE FAST FOOD INDUSTRY DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW.

I read the book called "Chew on This"....yup I did. It caught my eye at the library last week and I read the whole thing...no, devoured it would be the correct term, like a Big Mac Meal with fresh hot fries and large diet coke......

but I have to say, this book GROSSED me out so badly that I can no longer eat fast food. period.

I now have problems grocery shopping in general.

The book is a good read. The beginning is all about the birth of the interstate and with it the drive thru window. Sad really. Wonderous apple orchards turned to concrete jungles. But that, my friends, is just progress in our day and age; the progression of order to chaos.

Then it got to the cool stuff. How McDonald's got the french fry and the very cool sounding potato gun cutter. Seriously, how could anybody who likes gadets pass this one up. It sucks up the potato, strips the skin off while pressure "blowing" the potato through a wicked sharp blade that cuts every potato perfectly. Sweeeeeeeet.

Then the horror of the fast food industry seeps into the warm sesame seed bun heaven. I was so disheartened at how the beef is raised and consumed that I am wondering how we can find out if we are eating free range beef at every turn. The chicken chapter made me cry...seriously. How on EARTH are we eating chickens that are so fat and kept in spaces where they can't move that they are having friggin heart attacks...CHICKEN>>> having HEART ATTACKS! If you are what you eat we are in some serious trouble my friends.

Then the whole soda thing, which has caused me to limit my kids consumption of soda to one or 2 per week, a change they are none to happy about. I myself only drink diet soda and then not very often. Too much carbonation...heartburn you know.

Then the obvious abuse of kids in the system of the fast food mega giants. Yeah, I know somebody has to do it, but when it affects the kids, not cool. I remember working long LOOOOOOONNNNNNG hours at my parents pizza place, but it was not to the detriment of school. And they still make the kids pay for their food, if they want to eat that stuff.

The whole book broke my heart. I have sworn off the stuff. I just can't do it. If one, yes, ONE fast food mega giant with a clown and golden arches can control the way chickens are killed for food and the price of eggs and beef....i'm truly saddened.

So, MB, get over it, mommy is no longer shopping in the arches, with the king or any of them really. I'm just disguested.

7 comments:

Doodlebugs' Mama said...

A few years ago, I had a bee in my bonnet and I scoured the internet "researching" the horrific treatment of the animals we eat. At that time we had enough funds to switch over to everything organic--including eggs, meat, dairy. Alas, we are not in the same financial situation right now, so I have to buy the "regular" stuff and I hate it. The treatment of chickens and veal are the ones that bothered me the most. Veal so much so that I will never, ever eat it again.

Special K said...

This is why I am so thankful that we do not have a fast food place in my town. Living on an island has some advantages ;)
Actually our gym teacher who also works at a camp over the summer remarked at how in shape our kids are because we don't have fast food. Something to be proud of.
Fast food is a treat around here, which is usually only a few times a year if that.

lachen said...

I am duly inspired to read this book by this entry. I am a vegetarian by choice because I loved the chickens, cows, and pigs on my family farm. I am glad I dodge this bullet fairly effectively. But as to sodas - I think I like this little place called "denial".... yikes.

MommaRia said...

Lachen:

The soda thing, done in moderation and with great toothbrushing, is not a problem. I take issue with the fact that the FF places spend .40 tops on a soda but charge up to $2 for a soda. I wish my business had that kind of profit!!!

The fact that they will ensconse themselves in areas like Alaska, FLY IN cases and cases of the stuff, make it more affordable than fresh water, and let an entire population rot their teeth out is sickening to me. I laude the little girl in the book who took on the soda machines in her school and finally won.

Read it, I think you will find it mildly entertaining, a great history lesson and a grand deterant to NOT eat in a fast food restaraunt ever again (for some reason I kept typing again as gagging LOL).

check it out, i'm leaning more and more veggie as well.

Vanessa said...

Bleh! Just from the tid-bits shared I dont think I can read this book right now while pregnant - lol.

TamWill said...

This sounds like an informative book worth reading!

Good Post.

Angela said...

oh but mommy just one more happy meal, I want the cool toy too....

I haven't heard about this book, yet, but I am interested for sure. I love the potato press thing for sure though.