Saturday, May 27, 2006

Ethical dilema.....what would YOU do?

We had MB's birthday party last week at a local bowling alley. Sooo much fun was had by all who bowled and came to celebrate the birthday of one special kid. We also had a bit of family drama that day, so my mind was muy preocupado......

I settled up with the bowling alley after 3 hours of 15 people cosmic bowling. It was a bit higher than expected, but really, everybody had a great time and it really was quite a deal for 3 hours of 15 people bowling. The tab was $103.00. I handed J at the counter the fantastic plastic (yeah I know, should have paid cash, but was not sure how many ppl were going to show up and bowl). He ran the card, my cell phone rang......I didn't pay attention.

I check the credit card bill and the bowling alley charged me 1.03 Yeup, one dollar and 3 cents.
There is the ethical dilemia I mentioned. We are not a rich family by any means....humble and broke is usually the situation. So what would you do?..........





if you really KNOW me you already know what I did, and I did it without hesitation or remorse (though the totally selfish, cheap side of me cringed a bit) I drove back to the bowlig alley over my lunch yesterday to try to pay the man. They were not open. So I drove back again AFTER work and walked to the counter. J was not in sight, so I told somebody "I had a party here last weekend and was micharged". She got the manager who came out of the office ready for a fight.
I had to explain what happened twice. I was not sure if the look on his face was "how stupid are you lady" or "Wow, an honest person", but I told him he only charged me $1.03 and I needed to pay the difference. I just hope his ethical side comes forward and he does not fire the poor girl who didn't realize that HE charged me to little.

So, what would you have done?

5 comments:

TamWill said...

I hope that I would have done the right thing...as you did.

But being broke, I may have looked the other way. But that is a sin and it is stealing, so in the long run I would have paid more than the $103.00. 103.00X7=$ 721.00

YOU DID THE RIGHT THING! Don't let the devil persuade you any different.

Hero said...

Being honest, if that had happened at the bowling alley that my sister's former BIL owns, I wouldn't have gone back because of all the crap he did to her. But, if it was anyone else, I'd have gone back like you did.

Special K said...

Well what that type of party would have cost here would have been 3 times that amount, so I would have gone back and paid the $103, but maybe not the $306.

I am usually an honest person and have always done the right thing, but sometimes I wonder when am I getting mine, but then that is selfish. It is a vicious cycle.

You did the right thing.

Vanessa said...

Wow sweetie - I wish we would have known, we would have paid our part! But, I think that you totally did the right thing even though they probably would have never noticed or would have but done nothing about it. It's very hard to go back & let someone know, I would have even thought twice about it.

Angela said...

you did the absolute right thing and I applaud you for it. Hard as it was. I would have liked to see the managers face though too funny.