Saturday, January 07, 2006

The newborn is gonna kill me

The puppy that is. I really need puppy training advice or something. This dog (and the boy who owns it). Why is it that having a puppy in the house is worse than having a newborn and why is my husband so aggressively angry at this dog all the time like she should KNOW not to whine at 1:30, 2, 3:30, and 5am when we are trying to sleep?

Yes, that is her schedule. We have to keep her in a kennel during the day so she is very ready to play at night. She's a puppy, so I get it. I don't like it, but I understand. Now that we have this dog this is a sample day at my house, starting at bedtime so you really understand....
10:30p I go into the bedroom to unwind watching the grown up cartoons on Adult Swim (my guilty pleasure)
11:15p nothing else good on, lights out and sleep (the dog kennel is in our room so she does not think we are not here)
12:35a dog starts whining....somebody has to run her outside. I try to wait until DH does this.
1:30...more dog whining....more freezziinng cold taking the dog out.
2:30....dog starts whining again....DH throws a pillow at the dogs kennel and yells "Zelda, shut up.
2:32....pillow not affective in exploding the dog kennel like the bomb it was thrown to be...dog starts whining again. DH storms out of bed, shaking house, death grips dog from the cage and throws her outside.
3:30....yup, more dog whining....we both ignore her.
5 am....dog is whining again. Now I have had enough and I know how to shut her up. I take her out of the cage and outside. Then when she comes in I sit in the recliner, reset the alarm clock for 7:15 a after I give MB medicine and Zelda and I snuggle down on the recliner for a nap before I go to work.
7 am....DH gets up and runs across the room late for work.
7:15....alarm goes off and I have to get up, get MB ready for his 'job' at daycare and get myself ready for work.
7:35 a MB is up and should be eating, but instead he is whining loudly because Zelda is trying to eat his pullup while it is still on him.
7:36. Feed and water dog.
8 am...jump in shower for very fast shower before work.....ahhh silence...nope, that is MB standing outside the bathroom screaming bloody murder b/c the dog is trying to eat him again (she is playing, he's convinced he's dying....bad combination for angry mommy)
8:30 I'm now yelling at MB to get ready that we leave in 15 mintues. He is insisting that he is getting dressed. Tyring to prep dinner or start dinner if it is a crockpot dish.
8:40. I'm still trying to get ready, hair dripping wet, putting medicine and toys for the day into the daycare bag, yelling at MB regarding eating his oatmeal and where did he put his socks.
8:47...ok, we are late...where is the dog.....gotta put her in the kennel so I can go to work and come home to SOME house left.....where is the dog....come back here......I said come here (me lunging for the dog again)......Zelda......(insert whining from Sam because he STILL Does not have his socks or shoes on...he claims he does not know how).
8:48: mommy has a total meltdown and starts yelling. Suddenly shoes are on and dog willingly goes into kennel.
8:50 we are in the car and heading to the babysitter...oh man, where is my cell phone....lunch and/or cup of coffee.....
9am...drop MB at the sitter and hop back in car.
9:45....arrive at work, log in, breath.....
10a till 7 p.......work.
7:20, get home (or stop for whatever we need).
7:20:30 Hug boy, smootch dad and take dog outside for a walk so she will 1)not pee in the house and 2) be outside with somebody for a change, she likes that.
7:40 feed and eat dinner (make sure dog has eaten) and try to watch a little tv.
8:30, get boy in bed, movie started, do dishes, clean up a little, start a load of laundry and plan for tomorrow (heck, pray tomorrow gets better!)
10pm try to head toward the bedroom....
10:30...we are back at the beginning of the loop.

SO.......can anybody assess why I am so tired lately?

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

Yikes - and I thought you had a lot on your plate before! Yep, no wonder you are tired. Don't know much about dogs, but hopefully she will grow out of it or something (at least for your sanity).

Hero said...

Dog tips:

1. The kennel is GREAT! Keep up the good work. Don't back down on the kennel. Once she knows she's got you, she'll try to run with it. Do not let her!
2. Dogs have no concept of time and her being in the kennel at night and during the day is not a bad thing. It's management and it's your job. Awesome.
3. I would only take her out to pee once during the night. After that, she's only trying to get you to do something with her. Take her out the first time she whines to be sure she really doesn't have to go pee then back in the crate. In fact, I'd let her go out before you even head to bed then just straight into the crate. When she whines, too bad. If she's keeping you up, move her, still in the kennel, into the hall, another room, wherever she can be without disturbing you or the kids. If she thinks she's winning, she'll keep doing it. Eventually when she's no longer getting her way, she'll stop.
4. Lift the food and water dishes at 7. That should allow her enough time to have eaten and had a drink but also enough time to respond to that with a trip outside before bed without her needing to go during the night.
5. If she's peeing a lot then you might want to have her checked for a UTI.

E-mail me if you have more questions.

TamWill said...

WOW MommaRia...I know EXACTLY what you are going through!!

How old is your puppy? My CHihuaha is 9 months old now, in the beginning she was the same as your Zelda. I was constantly getting up during the night to take her out.

Here are my nuggets of wisdom:

1. No water or food after 7pm
2. take her out right before you go to bed.
3. make sure her kennel is sized right (a dog will not pee or poop in it ...unless it is too big, then they will do their business in the corner)
4.In the winter time use a stake and chain (in the ground) to hook her leash up to. Puppies can take a long time to get around to doing their business...and you don't have the time. So put her out there 10-15 minutes before you need to leave for work.
5. Dont keep the kennel in your bedroom...I made the same mistake and she is now in the hall.

I agree with you they are alot of work!! I agree with your husband, the whining grates on my last nerve. My dog does it if she hears us eating, talking and then she does it for attention.
Good Luck with your pet! Show her that you are the leader of the pack :)